Fairfax County School Health Newsletter
May/June 2018 Newsletter
Medicine is Not Candy
Did you know some medicines look like candy? Keep students safe by practicing a few simple medication safety rules:
- Talk to your kids about medication safety. Don't confuse kids by comparing medicine to candy.
- Keep all medicines in a secure location – up, away and out of sight.
- Close medicine caps tightly after each use and buy medicines in child-resistant packages when you can. Remember, child-resistant does not mean child-proof and some children will still be able to open the cap.
- Only use the dosing device that comes with the medicine.
- Put medicines back after every use.
- Talk to older relatives and caregivers about being extra careful with their medications when children are around.
- Be alert to visitors' medicines as they may not consider safety precautions.